History

This area is characterized by broad and flat to gently rolling uplands, dissected by swampy stream valleys.  For more than 200 years, the uplands have been cultivated.  In the past, cash crops were tobacco, corn, and soybeans.  The Tar River lies two miles north of the Village of Simpson.  

The Village is named for John Simpson, an early settler and general in the Revolutionary War. The community grew up around the Norfolk and Southern Railroad, which was built through the area in 1911. In 1916, a post office opened and in 1918, the community was incorporated. During its early years, the town was known as Chicod. During the 1960's, Simpson lost its municipal status. In 1975, the Village of Simpson was incorporated again by the NC General Assembly.​

Simpson covers 0.4 square miles (235 acres, or 10,256,198 square feet) and is located in the eastern side of Pitt County at 35°34′31″ North, 77°16′43″ West (35.575205, -77.278515).